The CEO is responsible for leading the operations of eBOUND Canada, a not-for profit organization with a mandate to support independent Canadian publishers in their digital publishing activities. We work with publishers to create, manage, and market their digital assets as well as keeping them informed of changes and developments in the digital publishing space. We also organize training workshops that help publishers to acquire the skills they need to publish and market digital content.
eBOUND Canada is owned by the Association of Canadian Publishers and works with around 70 independent Canadian publishers and over a dozen ebook retailers.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the CEO is responsible for:
- Leading revenue generating activities including grant applications and new business development
- Ensuring the financial viability of the organization including budgeting, managing cashflow, reporting to funders and working with auditors
- Keeping the Board of Directors informed about all financial and general administrative matters
- Working with the Board to provide vision, direction, and strategic planning for the organization
- Managing eBOUND Canada’s day-to-day operations while maintaining currency in the digital publishing sector
- Directing and supervising staff, including hiring, training, evaluating, and developing personnel
- Planning, organizing, and executing eBOUND’s activities to ensure progress on immediate and long-term outcomes
- Fostering coordination and collaboration with stakeholders in the Canadian digital publishing sector.
This position requires experience in a leadership role within the publishing industry or with a not-for-profit organization. The successful candidate will be a person who is skilled at making a good economic case for providing technical services for the important cultural industry of Canadian-owned publishing. When analyzing financial performance, the CEO must be able to go beyond the numbers in order to understand how networking and co-operation contribute to the organization’s stability
The successful candidate will also have:
- A demonstrated record of successful financial management including revenue generation
- Experience reading and interpreting financial statements and budgeting
- Experience managing multiple, complex, simultaneous projects
- Experience in the publishing industry with a solid understanding of production and distribution issues pertaining to digital publishing
- Experience in the supervision of staff
- A university degree in English, Communications, Marketing or a related field with publishing experience preferred
- Strong presentation skills
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, presentation, and numeracy skills
- Strong MS Office skills and a facility with new technologies
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience working with a board of directors is not required but would be beneficial.
This is a full-time, salaried position that requires occasional travel. Compensation includes medical, dental, optical. and long-term disability benefits through the Book and Periodical Council. The start date is November 2017.
Interested parties should send a letter of application stating salary expectations together with their résumé and three professional references, by email, to the attention of:
The deadline for applications is: June 14th, 2017.